7.5.0 Linux version

Hello,
I’ve recently started working with SMART and to be able to work with my partners I need to download the 7.5.0 linux desktop version.
Can anyone help me to find this concrete version?
Regards. Pablo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Pablo,

We don’t currently have a linux build but I have requested that for our public release planned for early January.

Thanks

Monica

Hi mharris,
thanks for your response. I will wait it a lot! Right now I’m with a VM and its a pain!.

1 Like

Hello,
I proceed to install the linux version. Assuming that there will be bugs I will try to post here my progress since I know I am the first user of this version.

Greetings. Pablo :slight_smile:

Finally, I’ve found the time to work on this.
Firts problems:
After launching the app the terminal launch this message:

SLF4J: Failed to load class “org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder”.
SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
SLF4J: See SLF4J Error Codes for further details.
MLog initialization issue: slf4j found no binding or threatened to use its (dangerously silent) NOPLogger. We consider the slf4j library not found.

Probably related with java - SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder" - Stack Overflow

What flavour of linux are you using? We tested with Ubuntu (V22 I think?) and it should work on that.

The error you mentioned shouldn’t break the system, it should work despite that error about the logging library. Did you try to keep using the system after seeing that error still, do you see the GUI load still?

Kubuntu 22.04. The login screen appears but when I simply click on it to log-in, it dissapears. (but the process is still running).

When I launch it with a bash, that error message appears (probably, seeing the log will help).

After finishing it by hand, this is the “derby.log” content (with no errors, I think).

DERBY.log

Wed Feb 08 19:58:06 CET 2023:
Booting Derby version The Apache Software Foundation - Apache Derby - 10.15.1.3 - (1853019): instance a816c00e-0186-3264-6510-00000a903088
on database directory /home/pablo/Escritorio/smart/data/database/smartdb with class loader org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.EquinoxClassLoader@4012d5bc[org.wcs.smart.hibernate.libs:7.4.0.202211242206(id=334)]
Loaded from file:/home/pablo/Escritorio/smart/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/334/0/.cp/lib/derby-10.15.1.3.jar
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.runtime.version=11.0.2+9
user.dir=/home/pablo/Escritorio/smart
os.name=Linux
os.arch=amd64
os.version=5.15.0-58-generic
derby.system.home=null
Database Class Loader started - derby.database.classpath=‘’

Hi Pablo,

I successfully installed SMART Desktop on an Ubuntu Linux and had no issues. Maybe it’s the window manager you are using.
The above message does not look like an error, but just a trace message when SMART Desktop is starting and loading the Derby engine.
Oliver

Hi oadolph,
can you tell me which version of Java do you have?

just run java --version

The Java used for Smart Desktop is version 11. It’s part of the Smart Desktop package so you don’t need to install another Java on your system.

I’ve found the proper log file and the output is:

!SESSION 2023-02-19 18:40:24.899 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=11.0.2
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86_64, WS=gtk, NL=es_ES
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86_64

!ENTRY org.wcs.smart.cybertracker 4 0 2023-02-19 18:40:31.233
!MESSAGE java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences.WindowsRegOpenKey(long, [B, int)
!STACK 0
java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: java.util.prefs.FileSystemPreferences.WindowsRegOpenKey(long, [B, int)
at java.base/java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethod(Class.java:2476)
at org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.util.WinRegistry.(WinRegistry.java:42)
at org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.util.PdaUtil.updateRegistryKey(PdaUtil.java:72)
at org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.CyberTrackerStartupJob.checkFolderAndRegistry(CyberTrackerStartupJob.java:87)
at org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.CyberTrackerStartupJob.run(CyberTrackerStartupJob.java:77)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)

!ENTRY org.wcs.smart.cybertracker 4 0 2023-02-19 18:40:31.234
!MESSAGE Failed to create folder or update registry for CA Example Conservation Area
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.util.WinRegistry.writeStringValue(WinRegistry.java:378)
at org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.util.WinRegistry.writeStringValue(WinRegistry.java:210)
at org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.CyberTrackerStartupJob.checkFolderAndRegistry(CyberTrackerStartupJob.java:87)
at org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.CyberTrackerStartupJob.run(CyberTrackerStartupJob.java:77)

!ENTRY org.wcs.smart.cybertracker 4 0 2023-02-19 18:40:31.234
!MESSAGE Failed to create folder or update registry for CA NotFoundTest
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.util.WinRegistry.writeStringValue(WinRegistry.java:378)
at org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.util.WinRegistry.writeStringValue(WinRegistry.java:210)
Probably, as you suggest it’s related with the dependence of GTK (that doesn’t make sense to be properly linux compatible).

Any other suggestion?

Hi Pablo,
I checked with an installation of mine running in a diocker container on Ubuntu but with xfce4 as window manager. I get the same errors in the log file, but the application starts as expected.
Can you check that the app is not displayed on a different virtual desktop of your machine?
If you want I can send you the dockerfile to create this kind of docker container, but you should be familiar with docker to use it.
Kindly
Oliver

1 Like

Mistery solved!
Thanks to your comment and the point in common of ubuntu (gnome) and xubuntu (xfce) I verified that the problem is… X11!!!
It seems to be related with the window compositor.
KDE tools are not fully addapted to wayland so it uses X11
Ubuntu an Xubuntu uses wayland by default so only installing wayland with
sudo apt install plasma-workspace-wayland
and restarting the X with the wayland compositor fixes everything.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi Pablo,
that’s very good news. Please report how well SMART Desktop is working in your environement.
Oliver

1 Like

First issue, probably related only with linux.
I can’t copy and paste to create reports. Using my old VM with windows works perfectly.

I can confirm this worked to fix my SMART on a Kubuntu test machine as well, thanks for posting your solution pabloFM!

For anyone else who might find this: to use wayland after installing it, there is a little dropdown on the login screen, bottom left for me, “desktopsession:” and wayland is an option there after running the apt install mentioned above.