How do I upgrade my SMART desktop to SMART 7?

To upgrade to SMART 7 from previous versions of SMART 3-6:

1. Back up your existing SMART database using the ‘File → Backup System’ menu option.

2. Download and install SMART 7. If you are going to install it in the same location as your previous version, you must delete the previous version first. Do not merge directories.

3. Log into the Example Conservation Area and install any plugins you have installed in SMART 6. Note that the Intelligence Plugin has been removed from SMART 7.

4. On the login screen, select the ‘Advanced’ option, then the ‘Upgrade/Restore a Backup’ option. Follow the wizard, and when asked to select a backup file to restore, pick the file created in step 1 above.

5. A prompt will appear, warning that the backup file is not compatible with the current software version. You will be asked if you want to upgrade (and restore) – select ‘Yes’. At this point the backup will be upgraded and restored.

6. It may be necessary to update query bindings for reports in your Conservation Area. You can do this for a particular report when it fails, or you can log into your Conservation Area, open the reports perspective, select all your reports, then right click and use the Update Report Query Bindings menu. If your reports reference a large number of queries this may take a while.

NOTE: Upgrading a large database may take a while (10-15 minutes for a database with ~800,000 waypoints).

We recommend all users install and use the latest version of SMART.

3 Likes

If you would like assistance with a visual walkthrough of the process you can see it here:
SMART Upgrade from older versions

3 Likes

Up :point_up_2:

Useful recap about how to upgrade your SMART Desktop, thanks

Monica

1 Like

Bonjours à tous et merci pour le tutoriel et il nous faut vraiment le recyclage pour nous qui utilisons ce logiciel de SMART fe la conservation.Coordialement DOH II Thomas

1 Like

Really great video! but I got a question regarding the Plugins. What should I do if I have no site options? How could I add them?

Thanks in advance
Jackie

Hi Jackie,
Did you happen to move or modify any of the files after downloading the SMART package from the website? I haven’t that behavior before. You might also want to try just restarting SMART.

Hi Matt, I am not sure what was the problem. I erased SMART 7 and downloaded it again, and it worked!

Jackie

That’s great to hear! I suspect your initial download was saved in a location or moved incompletely such that you didn’t have access to all of the files.

1 Like

Thank you Matt. Now, I can continue exploring the new features of SMART 7, that seem really great so far!

Jackie