SMART and The Management Effectiveness Tracking Tool (METT)

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone has experience using METT, and using SMART records to go through that assessment of protected area management .

Glad to hear any advice or experience

Jackie

1 Like

Hi Jackie,

I am aware of a number of sites using SMART for METT. There is also guidance from the WCPA on how to do it, available here - https://wdpa.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/PAME/METT/METT_4_Handbook.pdf

The SMART team is also working on more hands on guidance this year, so watch this space for new guidance from our end.

Finally, maybe @jmaaz can share some of his experience, as a number of sites in Belize use SMART for METT reporting.

Thanks

Monica

1 Like

Great news Monica! Thanks, I will be waiting for it.

Jackie

1 Like

Hi Jackie,

our METT has been updated to suite Belize’s unique needs. What we did was to ensure that we included into SMART the categories needed to answer the METT. So basically, we looked at our meet and ensured that the data being gathered was helping to answer the questions. Where it fall short we adjusted the data models.

2 Likes

Hi jmaaz,

Is this experience systematized? I would be glad to learn more about your data model in SMART, which attributes are being used as indicators in your METT, and some tips that have helped you for the process to be successful.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

1 Like

Agreed - Thanks @jmaaz for sharing your experience in Belize. Would be great to share any documentation/guides/etc if you can!

1 Like