Challenges managing large CA size

Moving discussion to new thread for the post from @andrianarimisa 's.

The fact, is our CA - Makira become a huge file of 29 GB of data from 2018 to now because they take pictures of some of the threats found during patrols --So there are:

(1) I try to upload it to SMART Connect for that size - it is now taking me 3 days and nights (since Wednesday 19th July until today Friday 21st afternoon still uploading

(2) Thats’ why I am considering deleting all attached image files in each patrol from January 2018 till July 2023. Here is what happened, after I back up the SMART Desktop 6.3 -the previous version we used - to upgrade to the current SMART 7.5.6 - none of the attached files inside each patrol is found - on the column of the attached file becomes (None). Thus, not unlike the previous version (version 6.3 to version 7.1) in which you cannot find any more in each patrol in the attached file. However, the size of the SMART Desktop indicates that these attached files are still there, as during the upgrade I see the name of some of these attached files uploaded from the Backup 7.1 to 7.5.6 --with the jpeg extension, etc…

My idea is if I managed to see again - Patrol by patrol the attached file - I can re-edit each patrol by ONLY DELETING ALL THE PHOTOS- to let each patrol without attached files and for that could be easily uploaded to SMART Connect- I’ve done that as these when the SMART Desktop 7.1 was launched - I upgrade my 6.3 and deleted some of patrol - as it was in that moment a test of maximum 1 Gb size for the connect - So when I only use 2018 patrol and delete one by one attached file - it become light and I managed to upload to SMART Connect —

That’s my problem now, as it appears that the 29 GB Desktop SMART 7.5.6 might not get finished to upload on SMART Connect - I need to delete the attached file on each patrol but none of the patrols have attached file - even I see that some are on filestore…

Anyway, I backup this big SMART Desktope file for my site and made various copies before I touch it.

Sorry for the long email Matt.

Hello @andrianarimisa,
There are several recommendations for managing the size of your CA here:
https://app.assembla.com/spaces/smart-cs/wiki/SMART_Conservation_Area_Size_Report
Specifically to your issue of having a lot of space taken up by images, you can follow the steps outlined here:
Patrol Tips - Again attachments, this time Patrol/waypoint/observation attachments, would be the main reason this folder gets very large.

1. To mitigate future size increases, consider using the SMART Mobile Device Setting: “Resize Photos”. This will allow you to set a default resolution for all future images taken on smart mobile collection devices instead of using camera defaults which are often quite large on modern phones.
  2. Use the Batch Image reprocessor (see usage) to re-size existing attachments. Download the Batch Image Processor Update Site
  3. Export old patrols into a secure back-up location, then delete the patrols (or only the attachments if you prefer) if you do not need regular access to attachments from patrols of a certain age.

Beyond that it seems that the issue is that you’re missing the attachments following your upgrade to SMART 7. This will require additional investigation, as that is not supposed to happen. Do you still have your backup file that you used for upgrading?

1 Like

There is also another process (be aware that this is complex and a workaround) so just be careful you dont leave out any information/patrols

[procDoc_smart_Upload Large CA.pdf - Google Drive](https://Mini Manual)

Hi all,
The database will inevitably grow, faster or slower, depending how often field trackers will document their observations with multimedia content. This will inevitably increase the size of database. All proposed remedies (resizing images, backup and delete old data) may only postpone and slow the growth and it does not seem as long-term solution.
The way we use SMART for the national monitoring of large carnivores, requires that almost ever observation is documented by photo or video (added directly in SM or later in Smart Desktop). We need to do reporting of the species status in six years periods, and therefore cannot afford to delete “old” patrols and observations. For some analyses (short-term trend), even 12 years of data is needed.
I still can manage currently growing database, but do not know for how long.

How about giving to us (local “administrators”) the option to detach and store multimedia part of database, keep database small, but in sync with multimedia files, which could be stored separately, either locally or in the cloud, or both. I believe this sounds dangerous. Exactly such approach has one database which we use (locally only), to store and interpret photos from camera-traps. We have 1.5 million photos so far, the photos and database are on separate drives (database on SSD, photos on RAID field HDD) and as long as database can find where photos are, it all works). Of course, photos database does not have replication. Which makes everything easier for management, even without any intervention of programmers who made it.

Cheers,
Josip

1 Like