How to exit kiosk mode?

Dear forum members!

I am considering working with Kiosk Mode and I have installed SMART Mobile with Kiosk Mode on a smartphone in order to test it. Everything works fine, except that I am unable to exit SMART Mobile. I expected that it would be possible to exit SM after a patrol had been ended by entering the correct exit-pin number. However, this does not work.; SM does not close after entering the pin, so now SM is the only app that works on this phone.

Can anybody suggest a procedure for installing SM with kiosk mode in a way that allows exiting by entering the exit-pin?

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,

Michiel
WCS Russia and Central Asia Programs

Hello Michiel,
Which version of SMART Mobile are you using, and can you send a bug report? I’m not aware of any issues with exiting kiosk mode, so this would need further investigation if it isn’t working for you.

Hi Michiel,

I verified that the pin exit system works, so perhaps there is a misunderstanding about how the feature works.

Exiting kiosk mode just returns you to the project screen. Since you were able to send a bug report, I am guessing that worked for you.

Incidentally, your pin in this project is just “1”. Is that intentional?

Generally, we do not advise directly putting bug reports on the forum. They may contain sensitive information, past data, etc.

Cheers,
-Justin

Hi Justin,

Thanks for looking into to this. I have not worked with Kiosk mode before and it is certainly possible that there is a misunderstanding about how it should work. I expected that that after entering the pin-code, SMART Mobile would close and the phone home/start screen with icons of installed apps would show. In other words, I expected that other apps beside SM could still be used and that the phone would only be locked to SM when a patrol was active. But instead, after entering the pin, the start screen of SM shows up that lists installed SM projects. So it is impossible to use any app other than SM. If this is how Kiosk mode is supposed to work, then I am a bit puzzled by the function of the exit pin.

Yes, I selected “1” as exit-pin for my personal testing of Kiosk mode. And I used a new phone that I have only used for SMART Mobile and that I had just set back to its factory settings. Therefore I decided it was fine to share the bug report.

Best wishes,

Michiel

Hi Michiel,

The goal of kiosk mode is to turn the device into a fixed purpose data collection system.

When you exit kiosk mode, you can do things like add and delete projects.

Cheers,
-Justin

OK, thanks for the explanation!