Individual patrol maps in a report

I hoped I could produce a Report that provides a series of maps of the track for each individual patrol (perhaps even with the observations from that patrol too) - one patrol per map. I have a Patrol Query that returns the track of each patrol and in a report I can create a table that displays this query. However, the query item “Geometry” is shown as a list of coordinates rather than a mapped object. The coordinates for each patrol are specific to that patrol, which is what I would want. If instead I try and insert the Patrol Query map as an map object in the row of patrol info, the map just shows all the tracks for all the patrols on every row - it’s not tied to the geometry or the PatrolID for that row and I can’t work out how to tie it.

Is there a way either to display the geometry item as a map, or get the map to automatically filter according to the patrol ID for the row that it is. Or some other method to achieve the same result?

Using SMART 7

Hope that makes sense!
Thanks
Jeremy

1 Like

It sounds like you are just about there if you already have a patrol query that gets the single patrol result that you want. To put that patrol track on the map, ensure your query is of the type, “Patrol Query” since those are the only ones that show patrol tracks. Then add it to your report data sets, and add it as a layer into a map in your report. I made a quick demo video of adding the data set and map to report here:

Thanks Jeff. I have got as far as your video shows. But what I’m trying to get is a series of maps, one for each patrol within the selected date ranges rather than a single map with all patrols, or a single map of one predetermined patrol. I don’t want to have to make a query for each patrol because that would mean creating new queries after every set of patrols come in.

The query I do have has a row for each patrol and even has the geometry data for each patrol associated with each row so indeed most of the work has been done, but I can’t seem to create a map for each row.

I hoped there would be something analogous to the method for creating a report showing all attachment images, but with a map for each row instead of an image.

I’m still hoping I don’t have to do this outside SMART.

Jeremy

Oh, I see what you want now. There is no automated way to create more than one map at a time in our current reporting tools as far as I know so I don’t think exactly what you want to possible at this moment. I’ve added it to our list of future feature ideas, but of course that can take time.

I could suggest making a single map that has each patrol in a different colour and a legend to show the patrol ID. That might get you something similar in results to what you need to see in a single report with our current tools.
Here is a quick video of setting up the style in the Query itself, once you save this style in the query, then just add it to a report map as usual/above and it should keep the default style for the report map as well:

OK thanks Jeff. At least that’s clear. It does seem like it would be a useful function e.g. to produce maps for observations of each species, or for each type of infraction, or maps for each patrol group, or leader etc.
All my best
Jeremy

Jeff, I can’t see how to add a legend in the Report, or ensure that it gets carried across from the Query to the Report. The line style that I specify in the Query output is preserved in the Report, but the legend disappears.
Thanks
Jeremy

On the map page - configure a basemap (ie, the one you want in the report) that includes all the elements you want, including the legend. Then in the report, select that map as the basemap for the map object. Hope that helps!

Yes that has worked. Thank you.

Jeremy

1 Like