Smart 7 wont launch error

Hi,
Just tried to upgrade to SMART 7 but it won’t start giving me an error code. photo attached. Please help. I can’t see how to attach a error log file to this post either.
SMART 7 error

Not a specific solution, but I’d suggest a) re-extracting the SMART zipped folder and b) putting it either directly in your C drive (C:) or in a “SMART folder” on your C drive, like this C:\SMART. I’ve seen permissions issues pop up with the program files folder.

Hi Corey,
If you click the Upload button shown below when composing your post, you should be able to add that log file as an attachment.

Thanks Drew that solved it but now I’m having an issue installing plug-ins. Maybe also a permission issue?

An error occurred while installing the items
session context was:(profile=DefaultProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Install, operand=null → [R]org.wcs.smart.asset.feature.feature.group 7.5.0.202205251953, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.MissingAction).
No action found for: org.wcs.smart.asset.onInstall.
No action found for: org.wcs.smart.asset.onInstall.

Hi Corey,
Do you know which plugin was being installed when you go this error, and could you send the error log file? Are you able to install any of the plugins?

Also, does it still happen if you try again?

Hi Matt,
I was trying to install them all…
yes, error keeps coming up even if I try to do individually.
e.g.
An error occurred while installing the items
session context was:(profile=DefaultProfile, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Install, operand=null → [R]org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.incident.feature.feature.group 7.5.4.202209201442, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.MissingAction).
No action found for: org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.incident.onInstall.
No action found for: org.wcs.smart.cybertracker.incident.onInstall.

where would I find the error log, in the .eclipse file I can’t see any new error logs.

Okay I’ve tried a few plug ins individually and a few have worked but the majority fail e.g. smart connect, smart collect, independent incidents. I’m not sure it that is helpful or not.

Thank you, Corey. You can find the error log as an option from the Help menu. I’ve sent the information you’ve provided so far to the developers for further investigation.

Smart error log 20.1.23.txt (20.7 KB)

Thanks Matt

Hi Corey,
The error log indicates that there’s some sort of permissions issue or perhaps an issue with a virus scanner, as there are ‘Access Denied’ errors. You may want to try using the Users directory or test it out in the temp directory, and make sure you don’t have an antivirus software running the may be impacting SMART.

The developer had a few additional thoughts on what you could try if you still have problems after resolving the permissions issue:

1. You could try refreshing the update sites before installing plugins. File->Install New Plugins → Manage… (top right)->Plugin Install Locations→ Then one by one for for the two local and one online SMART site, select it and then select the ‘Reload’ button.
  2. Can you confirm your OS and which update site your using? You could try picking the “Local SMART Core Update Site”, then uncheck the “Contact all update sites during install…” option.
  3. Try again with a fresh download of SMART 7.5.6, unzip it in the Users directory, and try installing the plugins.

Best,
Matt

Hello Corey,
We confirmed that if there are permissions issues the first time you open some of the SMART files, those issues can persist after moving the files. It will be necessary to start with a fresh download of SMART, unzipped in a folder like C:\Users

Great. all working now and have fully upgrade. Thanks for your help Matt and Drew

Evening All,

We’re having the same issue as mentioned above here with errors occurring during plugin installation. Some install fine bust most do not. There is no anti-virus installed and we’ve disabled Windows Defender we’ve also tried installing a fresh version several times and still no joy. I’ve attached the error log file here.

Please advise if there is anything else we can try.

Thanks and regards
Nick
JAHerror (002).txt (179.5 KB)

Hi Nick

Just taking a quick look at your error log - it looks like there’s an issue with SMART accessing the update site folders specifically. This could be for a few reasons, but the most likely are that you don’t have the appropriate permissions or the file is corrupted.

Some thoughts to try - in no particular order:

• Confirm the fresh copy downloaded correctly from the website (no breaks in connection) (this is very unlikely to be the issue)
  • Confirm the folder extracted correctly AND to a location that you have admin rights for
  • Ensure that the overall SMART folder is in a place where you have admin rights and can run/access all folders
  • Run SMART as an admin on the computer
  • You might also take a look at options like those listed here: How to Fix Access Denied Folder/File Errors on Windows 10/8/7

Let us know if any of those work. Again, it’s likely the permissions at work here, but hard for me to say specifically what the issue is.

Cheers
Drew

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the above, it is definitely a permission issue on this particular computer as there are four other PC’s at the site that we have successfully installed SMART and all the plugins on. I was working with the site on the Administrator settings today so will go through the steps you’ve highlighted and try some of the options in the link and will come back to you.

Thanks and regards
Nick

1 Like