Smart connect servers

Hi All.
Ive been hearing about SMART Connect server and need some help with this.
would this be the best way to go about it if there is more than 1 person working on the same database?
Currently I’m in a need of a secondary person to collect data and I will analyze and pull reports. this beeing said we have our own servers ect. Can we use our own servers going forth?

Hope someone can help.
Regards
Ott

1 Like

Hi Ott,

Yes, you can use your own server. What version of SMART are you using?
I can send you some supporting materials.

Thanks

Monica

Im on version 7.
Please send! The secondary laptop i will also have to get on version 7 so if you can send download files for that also it would be great.
Thx
Ott

Hi Monica
i still have not heard from you but need to start with the server side asap please.
Or i hope i didn’t miss anything.
Please send me the supporting material.
I use Version 7.4.0

I need the to send other person version to download and install and need to understand how the server thing works.
Also, Is there a mobile version for cellphone for other managers to also add info?
Regards

Hi Ott,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I was hoping to have the final SMART 7 server script and documentation, but we are still testing.

This short document about server considerations and pre-requisites may be useful to you - SMART Connect server considerations_v1 - Google Docs

For installing your own server:
Script for 7.4.1 is available here - SmartConnectInstallation-Ver7.4.1.zip - Google Drive

Documentation to assist - SMART Connect Installation Script - Step-by-Step Guide.docx - Google Docs

I am not sure if I correctly understood your question about cellphone, but we do have a mobile app.

If you are using SMART 7, you can either use the SMART Mobile version on the SMART website (build 385) or download from Play or App stores (look for SMART Mobile for Conservation). Please note the Stores version only work with SMART 7. For users with SMART 6.3, you must use the version from the SMART website.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Monica

This is perfect.
Ill go through it all and replay at a later stage.
How do i install on secondary laptops? With same versions of SMART obviously.

Thx

Hi Ott,
You would follow a similar process for installing SMART on other laptops.

• Install SMART 7.4.1 on the other laptop
  • Log into the example CA and install any necessary plugins (you need to have the same plugins installed across desktops using the same CA)
  • You can then load your CA from SMART Connect on that SMART desktop by clicking the blue ‘Advanced’ link on the login screen and selecting ‘Download a Conservation Area from SMART Connect’ and follow the prompts as shown here: smart_connectDownloadCA_04_2022.wmv - Google Drive

I want to stress that best practices need to be followed when you have multiple people managing the SMART CA from separate desktops, as it can cause conflicts and frustration when two separate desktops update the same records at the same time and try syncing it through Connect:

• I strongly recommend doing all SMART administration and configuration from a single desktop when possible. If not, it requires careful management and communication to ensure your changes don’t conflict with someone else’s.
  • Only process patrol data from Connect on a single SMART desktop
  • Make use of the automatic syncing settings to make sure you are syncing often – at login, when logging out, and frequently while using the software.
  • Make sure any outstanding data queue items/patrol data have been processed before any data model changes are made.

Best,
Matt

Thank you for this Matt.
Will give attention next week.
Will most likely want to get in touch with you to help with process if possible?
Regards

Hello Ott,
I will be headed out to the field next week, so please post to the forum with any questions and we’ll make sure someone is able to assist.
Best,
Matt

Hi Matt
I do not have the installation file for SMART 7.4.1.
Is it possible to get it or can I copy existing files to new laptop?
The idea is that when I am not available to collect data that someone else can do so. this means I will still be admin and sometimes I will receive data from other parties.
Could we maybe speak over the phone to help?
Regards
Ott

Hello Ott,
Were you able to get help with this while I was away? If it would still be helpful, we can arrange a call to discuss how you plan to use SMART and Connect. Please let me know which time zone you are in.
Regards,
Matt

Hi Matt.
Been a bit busy so not yet!
Im in South Africa.
I would love a chat! next week Monday or Tuesday?

Thank you for sharing this, I have download and install the shared file above but not version 7.4.1 but 7.3.0;

Do you mind to share the 7.4.1 version?

Many thanks
Usman

1 Like

I would also add to make sure the auto check for new data queue items is switched OFF for all but one desktop. And make sure only strictly necessary users have the Connect User Role enabled to Process Data Queue items.
Jeremy

1 Like

Hi All
Sitting with a bit of a dilemma.
is it at all possible that someone can help me with setting up of SMART CONNECT?
Can this be set up on a random pc and transferred to a laptop at a later stage as my laptop has died?

Thx
Ott

Hi Ott,
I’m looking into finding someone that could assist you with the setup. I don’t think you’d be able to easily transfer the setup between computers, so you’d likely need to replicate most of the setup on the second computer.

Hi Matt.
we are still going over to our own server route! hopefully soon!
I just want to know if someone could assist in this that we could install CONNECT on our own server so that we dont have to tied down to one pc. All adjustments will have to be made from there if could?
Thx
Ott

Hi Ott,
If you want I can try to help you with setting up your server end of next week.
It is even possible to set it up on your local laptop and later move the data to different system.
What Operating System are you using?
Kindly
Oliver

Hi Oliver.

Thank you so much.

Are you in South Africa? We can try setting it up on my laptop.

Let me know how to get in contact with you.

Otherwise Im going to have to get you in touch with our tech side to help.

Thank you again.

Ott

Hi Ott,

I’m currently in Namibia but my home base is Germany.
The easiest way to setup Smart Connect on a laptop is by using Docker. If you want I can provide you with the docker files to set it up. But be aware that they are still under development and might change in the future.
You can reach me directly by oadolph@smartconservationsoftware.org

Kindly
Oliver

Oliver Adolph

Technical Operations Lead
Smart Partnership