Date format pattern

Hi all,
One little, but annoying feature of SMART Desktop 7.5.2 is that it is not possible to chose anywhere in settings the date format. If query data is exported as *.csv, then date format is only with months as shortened words.

This makes further use of such export rather difficult. How about option in settings to chose date format, or at least that it is the same as format set in operating system?

This is similar to my earlier suggestion to introduce one DateTime field. Such field even appears in some queries as “Last Modified”, still with months written with words, but it shows it is possible to merge date and time in one unique data type determining TIME.

Thanks,
Josip

Thanks for the suggestion it has been noted.

We could maybe add an option in the System Preferences on Desktop to allow the user to choose?

This would be good enough to me!
However, since we opened the topic of SMART desktop, I have several other suggestion. I sent them earlier, but I am not sure if those were noted, so here they are again:

Suggestions on SMART Desktop functionality

Waypoint ID within patrol
Please, give back Waypoint ID within patrols
This existed in Summer 2022, but was removed. I like thait Waipoint ID for observations made within patrol have the same pattern as observations recorded as independent incident. within consisting of person initials and time form year to seconds!

This existed at some point (maybe version 6.3), and got lost later. Currently, Waypoint IDs are just sequential numbers

This is introducing inconsistency when observations made within patrols and Independent incidents are pulled by some query.

QUERIES

1. Format of Date: To match system date (eg. dd.mm.yyyy)

2. No time in patrol query field, add the start time and end time of patrols. Ideally to create one DateTime field of format dd.mm.yyyy hh:mm:ss
    Explanation: Date and hours are part of one unique piece if information which is TIME, so it should ALWAYS come together as one piece of information. Shape file (for export) does not support DateTime field, but txt field with text in specified format will do the trick.

3. Code Page of exported queries not matching UTF-8, but also not the Windows Code page.
    SMART Desktop diacritics:

Same data exported as shape file and imported in ArcGIS Pro:

Option to rearrange columns order in Queries

Ok thanks and noted wrt the suggestions.

When it comes to Waypoint ID’s thats interesting you have unique values in v6.3, because i don’t they are all sequential. Even in v7 i have the same.

How were those observations created (saved and imported from a device; were they manually created in a patrol; were they collected with a GPS and manually observation details added?) Just want to see what the parameters were with regards to this.

Those waypoint ID’s though look like datetime format (manually entered in independant incident)

Well, to my remembering on the short use of ver. 6.3, there was no option for manual creation of observation IDs. Those observations were created by some version of SMART Mobile. I would like this functionality back, please!
Cheers,
Josip

Hi Josip,

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

SMART has the ability to import pre-configured waypoint IDs when importing waypoints from a .CSV file (see page 56 of the TTM) but by default, any observation created using SMART Mobile will be automatically given a sequential waypoint ID, the uniqueness comes from the patrol / incident ID, not the waypoint ID.

SMART 7 does have the ability to customise the format of the patrol/incident ID, though (see page: 277).

To my knowledge, the waypoint ID has always only been customizable through directly editing upon import, through CSV import as mentioned or via some custom setup in a GPS device (although I’ve not used this method). Perhaps this was a feature of CyberTracker (pre-SMART Mobile)?

To clarify, the request is to be able to use custom waypoint IDs in much the way we have enabled the ability for incident / patrol ID?

Thanks,

Alex

Yes, yes! I wish custom IDs for observations recorded during Patrols. No need that ALL waypoints (i.e. those which are part of tracklog) of a patrol are with custom IDs, but just those identifying observations, and that those can be of predefined pattern as it already is for Independent Incidents and for patrol IDs, created from the initials of the observer (not necessarily patrol leader, but also of any member of the patrol) and then date and time to the minute.

Thanks,
Josip

1 Like