Welcome to the SMART Community Forum! Please introduce yourself

Hi Willy,

Welcome to the SMART Community Forum! Great to hear about how you are using SMART in Way Kambas National Park, thanks for sharing!

Monica

Hello everyone, my name is Salomón, I’m Mexican and passionate about IT, I’m just getting into this SMART world. I find it very cool and I’m very excited about the new version. It is comforting to see this community.

2 Likes

Welcome Salomon! Great to have you join our community!

Monica

1 Like

Hello Everyone,

I am Florian Reimer, I am German based in Indonesia and work on community-based conservation projects throughout ASEAN and beyond. I am specifically looking for manuals on how to set up community based forest patrol teams in general (physically, equipment, training, patrol planning, reporting).

Thanks a lot

2 Likes

Greeting to all,

My name is Paul Brian Lachica, but you can call me Brian for short. I am working with the Forest Management Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources of the Philippines.
We use the SMART technology to implement the Lawin Forest and Biodiversity Protection System one of the adopted national strategy for Forest and Biodiversity Protection. The Lawin System is composed of 163 Conservation Areas in SMART which are managed by Data Managers from central and field offices through SMART Connect. I am the National Data Manager of the Lawin System. We are looking to improve our transmission, collection and analysis of data in our SMART 6.1.

Thank you,

3 Likes

Dear Brian,
First of all Welcome.

From your description I suggest to upgrade to the newest Smart version.
As this is a pretty big installation I suggest to do proper planning for the upgrade.
There are several critical steps to consider depending on the exact structure of your system.
Kindly
Oliver

1 Like

Welcome to the SMART Community @pblachica! Thanks for sharing your work in the Philippines with us, that is an impressive number of CAs! It would be amazing if you could add them to our map of sites on the SMART website here - https://smartconservationtools.org/SMART-Community/Map-of-sites

Here is some guidance on how to do it - How to add your SMART site to the community map on the SMART website_Updated.pdf - Google Drive

Thanks

Monica

Hi everyone !

I am JĂ©rĂŽme and I work for the french organisation Humy. With our partner ADF we developped a community patrol program in Phnom Kulen in Cambodia over a year ago. We are now trying to step up by building a larger law enforcement project in a more conflicted area of the forest. We were not using SMART for our community patrol program but we are seriously considering implementing the SMART approach for this next phasis. We are now building the project and securing fundings and we are interested in trainings that could be offered in the coming year.
Thank you very much for all your work for conservation and for this open-source solution !

1 Like

Hi Jerome and welcome to the SMART Community!

Great to hear about your plans for SMART in Cambodia!

Monica

Bonjour,
Je suis Kouame Kouakou Donald, responsable technique dans un cabinet forestier du nom de DRONEK. Je viens de dĂ©couvrir l’outil SMART et aprĂšs mes recherches je pense que cet outil pourrait beaucoup nous aider dans le cadre de nos activitĂ©s. Cependant j’ai du mal Ă  acquĂ©rir le logiciel.
Ainsi je souhaiterais savoir comment rĂ©ussir Ă  installer les outils SMART sur nos appareils portables notamment le tĂ©lĂ©phone et l’ordinateur?

Hello and welcome Kouame,
You can download the SMART software from the Download page on the website:
https://smartconservationtools.org/Download/Download-SMART-7
The Technical Manual has more information on installing and configuring the software:

The SMART Mobile Manual has more information on how to install and use it on mobile devices:

Regards,
Matt

Hi all, I work a for primate research lab in Göttingen and we are looking into replacement our (very) aging software with Smart to continue our work on baboon social behaviour. Just testing at the moment, but hoping for big changes this year
 :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Mattis,

Welcome to the SMART Community Forum! Thanks for sharing your plans for using SMART with your work, that is super interesting. Please keep us updated!

Thanks

Monica

Hello SMART Community members,
My name is Padma Krishnan, and I recently joined as a Senior Data Engineer at Wildlife Protection Solutions. My role involves utilizing SMART Reporting and Analysis tools, and I am excited to collaborate with the Community and contribute as a resource. Please feel free to share any feedback or comments, and look forward to engaging and interacting with you all.

3 Likes

Hi Padma,

Welcome to the SMART Community and to the SMART Partnership! We look forward to collaborating with you!

Monica

Hello, this is Berhe Gebremichael from Mekelle University. I want learn and use this conservation tool for African Savanna Elephant conservation project. Can any one help me? Thank you

Hi Berhe,

What kind of help are you looking for? Perhaps start a new post on the main forum page.

Rich

1 Like

Hello
My name is Tommy Charles. I am currently working as a GIS Technician in the mining industry but I recently got interested in conservation, rehabilitation and forestry. I have appreciable knowledge in the fields I mentioned and I am looking forward to a slight shift in my application of GIS as a career preferably forestry.
My BSc is in Geography and I am currently doing my Masters in GIS-Remote sensing and Natural Resource Management. I would love to have hands-on experience in forest management, conservation and rehabilitation. Any opportunity in this light would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hello Denton
Coincidentally, I was looking at your YouTube video on “basics configurable data model” when I saw this your introduction post. I work as a GIS Technician and would like explore ways in which I can apply my skills in forestry and related fields.

1 Like

@djoachim see above, thanks